Automate the delivery of applications using Tekton Pipelines and Triggers to deploy new releases quickly and more efficiently
- Learn how to create powerful pipelines using CI/CD tools
- Understand how to run, deploy and test applications directly in a cloud-native environment
- Explore the new Tekton Pipelines 2021 features
Tekton is a powerful yet flexible Kubernetes-native open source framework for creating continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) systems. It enables you to build, test, and deploy across multiple cloud providers or on-premise systems.
Building CI/CD Systems Using Tekton covers everything you need to know to start building your pipeline and automating application delivery in a cloud-native environment. Using a hands-on approach, you will learn about the basic building blocks, such as tasks, pipelines, and workspaces, which you can use to compose your CI/CD pipelines. As you progress, you will understand how to use these Tekton objects in conjunction with Tekton Triggers to automate the delivery of your application in a Kubernetes cluster.
By the end of this book, you will have learned how to compose Tekton Pipelines and use them with Tekton Triggers to build powerful CI/CD systems.
What you will learn
- Understand the basic principles behind CI/CD
- Explore what tasks are and how they can be made reusable and flexible
- Focus on how to use Tekton objects to compose a robust pipeline
- Share data across a pipeline using volumes and workspaces
- Discover more advanced topics such as WhenExpressions and Secrets to build complex pipelines
- Understand what Tekton Triggers are and how they can be used to automate CI/CD pipelines
- Build a full CI/CD pipeline that automatically deploys an application to a Kubernetes cluster when an update is done to a code repository
Who this book is for
This continuous integration and continuous delivery book is for anyone who wants to learn about one of the most powerful Kubernetes-native CI/CD systems – Tekton. Software developers who want to leverage the Custom Resource Definitions (CRDs) in Kubernetes and use Tekton to run pipeline tasks in order to build and own application delivery pipelines will also find this book particularly helpful. Beginner-level knowledge of software development concepts and Kubernetes is required to get the most out of this book.
Table of Contents
- A Brief History of CI/CD
- A Cloud-Native Approach to CI/CD
- Installation and Getting Started
- Stepping into Tasks
- Jumping into Pipelines
- Debugging and Cleaning Up Pipelines and Tasks
- Sharing Data with Workspaces
- Adding when Expressions
- Securing Authentication
- Getting Started with Triggers
- Triggering Tekton
- Preparing for a New Pipeline
- Building a Deployment Pipeline